Saturday, December 17, 2016

The Treadmill--The Most Important Piece of Winter Running Gear

Winter is fast approaching all across the running nation.  And here in Southwestern Pennsylvania, we are getting Mother Nature's cold shoulder a little early.  The Winter Solstice, and the official start of winter, is still 5 days away; however, we have 3 inches of snow on the ground, have had sub zero wind chills, and are expecting the first ice storm of the pending season tonight.  The cold weather can offer some challenges to a runner, but to us running gear geeks, the winter brings some special gear to drool over, research, and find a reason we need it.

When I bought my Yak Tracks, a common item that people purchase to add to the bottom of their running shoes to help grip the road or trail in slippery conditions, I thought they were going to send me out on the roads no matter what the weather!  But on ice they were still a little slippery.  Then I decided to try the do-it-yourself  method of screwing machine screws into the soles of my old trail shoes.  You know, just like the old studded snow tires (I recommend a pair of near retirement shoes for this, and remember to use SHORT screws!)  Surely the screws would make me want to do all my winter runs outside!  Nope, sometimes it's really cold.  I have a nice lightweight jacket that breathes and keeps me warm after a mile or so when the temperature drops below 30, a vest for 30-40 degrees.  I have loose tights that I wear when it gets below freezing (shorts above freezing.) And gloves?  I have at least 6 different pair.  I have a Buff, a moisture wicking beanie, an ear warmer, specialty long sleeve shirts, and sometimes I still don't want to go outside when it's a cold rain or really windy.  When it snows, the roads around me lose their berm to the pile left along the roadside by the plow truck.  Sometimes, oh come on, who am I kidding, I OFTEN find myself in the winter on the most dreaded piece of running gear out there: The Treadmill.

The view from my treadmill.  Our old 27", SD, television that is connected to our old stereo so I can hear what I'm watching over my footsteps.
We've all heard the treadmill called the Dreadmill or the Hamster Wheel.  The overall perception of spending any amount of time running on one isn't very appealing.  The scenery doesn't change.  The smells of nature don't exist.  There's no people to watch (unless you're in a gym) or wildlife running by.  It's just what's in front of you.  The same mundane view.  Then there's the terrain.  No corners, no slope to the road or trail, and no hills unless you create them with the up button--something I almost never do!

That all seems so horrible as I write it.  BUT, I actually don't mind running on my treadmill.  I would rather be outside experiencing the world; however, I find the treadmill to be quite useful.

Obviously, when the weather conditions are bad, the treadmill can be the only safe place to run.  And when the roads lose their berms to snow piles, the treadmill literally keeps me out of traffic.  But there's a lot about the treadmill I like that isn't weather related.

Safety is probably the biggest thing I like about the treadmill.  If I sleep in a little, the traffic on the roads around my house picks up.  I live in the country, so there aren't sidewalks.  The berm is the only place for me to be safely.  Even if the temperatures aren't dangerous, if there's snow on the berm, I'm running in traffic--way to dangerous for me.

I like the controlled environment.  I like the fact that I'm not in the dark because of the late sunrise.  I like the fact that I can control my leg turn-over and work on my cadence.  I like being able to run on something that's flat (I always run on at least a 1 percent treadmill grade, but the terrain outside in SW PA is only flat if I drive to the rail trail.)  I like being able to set my pace and increase it, or decrease it, as necessary--intervals, longer distances, tempo runs, etc.

I also enjoy catching up on the DVR'd TV shows.  The fact that my bathroom is just on the other side of my basement.  Upstairs, there is a very well stocked aid station should I need it (I call it the kitchen to my non-runner friends.)  Out of water?  Sink about 20 feet away.

Some of these conveniences also have me running on my old treadmill--I bought it in 2008-- in the spring, summer, and fall.  Although, I'd rather be outside experiencing the world, I'm also ok with being in the corner of my basement.

Maybe my lack of hatred for the treadmill comes from my love of running?  I know if it's pouring rain, extremely cold (wind chills below zero,) after traffic has increased in the morning, too icy or snow on the sides of the road, I'd probably NOT run if the treadmill wasn't there.  And that would be a shame!  So for me, my treadmill is the most important winter running gear I have.  In fact, it may be the most important piece of running gear period.  It allows me to enjoy the run when my mind would otherwise put me on the couch.

3 comments:

  1. I also do not mind the treadmill and have one in the basement. I have to be careful though, that I don't start relying on it too often instead of getting outside. I tend to do that and I have found that it doesn't seem to even come close to outside training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It's so easy to fall into that trap.

      Delete